Sunday, March 1, 2009

Thesis is off the ground

If you would have told me a little over a year ago that by Feb. 2009 I would be smack in the middle of graduate work and starting a thesis, I may have laughed in your face. I'm finding that I am not an academic and have little desire to become one, but when I am fully engaged in something, I get really excited about the little things.

Friday was a great day for me to get excited. I officially settled on a research topic with my thesis supervisor* Skip Trudeau. He was very encouraging and got me all amped up to begin my thesis. I think we will work very well together for several reasons, but mainly b/c our personalities are very similar and we have many similar interests, one being my topic.

I'm going to be studying the effect that being a college athlete has on a person's spirituality and spiritual development. It's a topic that hasn't been researched much, but one that Christian college presidents and athletic directors are becoming increasingly interested in. It's going to be a long, sometimes frustrating, but very rewarding road. It's exciting though to get this part of my masters started. I'll keep you updated periodically on my progress and findings.

*Skip has a much more official sounding title for himself, but I like to keep it simple/I forgot what it is

No comments: