Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Profound Conviction

I went through the book of Micah this past week and read something in Chapter 6 on Monday that has messed me up for a few days. I still can't put my finger on exactly what convicted me in this passage, but I just read it and knew something was not right in my life. Enough talk, here it is:

The Lord is talking through Micah and he says that he is making a case or a charge (kind of like in a courtroom) against Israel.
Micah 6:3
"My people, what have I done to you?
How have I burdened you? Answer me."

I don't know about you, but that sent some chills down my spine. I was instantly convicted, like the Lord was talking straight to me. The Lord asking me what he has done to burden me. Obviously the answer is nothing. But for some reason, I had this feeling of entitlement, like the Lord owes me something. Frankly, he doesn't owe me anything. He has already paid the greatest price, and yet here I am feeling like he owes me. LORD FORGIVE ME.

The passage continues with the Lord showing Israel all the things he had brought them through. Yet even then, Israel was rebelling against him, saying he wasn't present or he owed them something. The Lord is GOOD and too often we simply forget that. There is a fairly easy remedy (in theory) at the end of that particular passage. It goes like this:

Micah 6:8
"He has showed you, O man, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God."

Simple as that. However, at least for me, my pride often tends to get in the way of the humbly part. I really need to work on those three things though: Acting justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly. I'm not sure what they look like acted out in my life, but I'd like to figure it out so I can do them. Feel free to ask me how I'm doing in those areas. What did the Lord speak to you in these couple of verses? I'd love to hear.
Peace and Love to my readers

No comments: