Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Stonewalled and Broken

Last Thursday evening I had a head to head collision with Eastern European culture and I came out of the night frustrated, exhausted... BROKEN! The theme of the week for the 4 different discussion/bible/movie groups we have for the students was on relationships. The second half of the week we focused on romantic relationships. Thursday at a group called 'Crossroads,' we discussed dating, marriage, and sex. There was a range of views and ideas about the topics, but most of the students resonated with each other at the core of their beliefs.

There wasn't anything said, or any ideas or philosophies thrown out that I had never heard before, but it was something else that broke me. It was the fact that the students don't comprehend that there is a different way to do relationships. It hurt to see so many young people settle for the lies Satan has bombarded them with, but I came away realizing that I often do the same thing. It may not be with relationships, but I settle for comfort, complacency, and selfish desires way too often. I'm not immune to Satan's lies, none of us are, but it twists my heart every time I see their destruction first hand.

I realize this is a pretty raw reflection that hopefully I can expound on in more detail when I get home. It's been very hard to process these types of things while in Klaipeda because the days just seem to be flying by, and the experiences keep adding up. Continue to pray for the hearts of these students.

No comments: